Christian Books

Monday, August 1, 2011

Books that I've been reading, but not revueing...

While I have not been taking reading, taking notes, and writing about it, I have been reading some interesting books in July.

First, I have been reading two books on contemplative or centering prayer as well as attempting to practice it! Both of these books are by Trappist monks and provide interesting history, insight, and instruction in silent prayer (another name for it). I have been reading Centering Prayer: Renewing an Ancient Christian Prayer Form by Basil Pennington and Contemplative Prayer by Thomas Merton. I am purposely reading both of them slowly (sometimes a few pages; sometimes a chapter) before praying. Often, they provide a valuable insight that I need for that time as I approach God in prayer.


Second, I have been re-reading Eugene Lowry's books on narrative preaching, The Homiletical Plot, Expanded Edition: The Sermon as Narrative Art Form and How to Preach a Parable: Designs for Narrative Sermons (Abingdon Preacher's Library Series). Yes, I have already revued these books here, but now, using texts from my daily quite time, I am working on writing my own narrative sermons based upon my imperfect use of his method. It has been both fun and trying. Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to preach them in the near future!







Third, I have been reading Irvin Yalom's The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients (P.S.), which has been very interesting so far. Yalom is an excellent writer and has written several classics in the field of psychology and counseling. In my own philosophy and theology, I hold to a relational perspective, and this book seems to take a relational view that compliments my own. The bottom line is that a healthy therapeutic relationship may facilitate emotional healing.


Lastly, I have been reading an older book, first published in 1961, called Freud And The Post-freudians. This book has been an enjoyable read because it provides valuable explanations of the various concepts of Freudian psychology.  Also, it gives the historical development of Freudian psychology during and after Freud, culminating in the last chapters on the interpersonal theorist such as: Horney, Fromm, Sullivan, and others. I really began reading it because of the interpersonal theorist chapters, but I found that the entire work is a goldmine of the development of modern psychology.




Those are some of the books that I've been reading in July.  I hope to get back to reading, taking notes, and writing revues in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your interaction, discussion, and constructive criticism of my book revues, but please be sure to keep any comments both civil and in good taste, or I will delete them.